Welcome to 4 Our Military!!

Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Michelle and I am an avid supporter of our Military. Here, I will be blogging about everything I have going on in the way of supporting our troops. If you too are involved in supporting our troops, I would love to hear what you are doing in your community. For the past three years, I have been a volunteer for an organization called 'Adopt A US Soldier'. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that allows you to sign up to "adopt" a soldier that is deployed and in need of some support. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. Please direct all mail to MDawn213@aol.com. Thank you all for your support!!

Project Frontlines (Project #1 that I am currently working on)

Project Frontlines is one of the two projects that I am currently working on. This was started by Kylie Johnson and Mark Klodzinski. We then worked together and have made it an official part of 'Adopt A US Soldier'. What is Project Frontlines? We have a unit in Afghanistan that is in a very remote location. Through Project Frontlines, these men and women in uniform will receive donations from supporters around the world. For more information or to donate, please visit the Adopt A US Soldier website. We have just received a HUGE donation of 1,500 bags of coffee and it is going to cost A LOT to ship over to our troops. PLEASE consider donating for shipping costs. Every amount counts!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A day of packing coffee

While the day is not over just yet, we have been spending the better part of it packing coffee, and I don't think we're done quite yet. In order to get the most coffee in the boxes, we are being pretty precise about it, plus we are keeping count on how many we are packing. I got 500 in each of the first two boxes, then Megan took over the packing part while I dug the coffee out of the big shipping box it came in, and (because she's a rockstar) she was able to fit 550 in each box. We've got 4 boxes packed, about 6 or so to go (I'm estimating). Because we wanted to weigh the boxes and make sure they don't go over the 70 pound weight limit, we took the box to the post office and got it weighed and shipped out the first one while we were there. Each box is about 50 pounds. I'm guessing the ones with 550 bags in them will be about 55-60 pounds. Each box costs about $35 to ship, so if you would like "sponsor" a box, let me know. You can add a note/letter to go along with the coffee as well.

On another note, I got a call today while I was at the post office from a USO representative and they have a bunch of stuff for our soldiers! YAY!!! Majority of it will be used for our soldiers coming home, but depending on how much there is, some will probably go to our troops in Kandahar :)

That's all the updating for now. Hope you all had a great day like we did!!!

-Michelle & Meg



Our first box. Packed and ready for shipping


Megan packing the boxes


Me packing the boxes


The box was so deep, we couldn't reach the bottom. Smaller helpers came to the rescue


Even the baby got in on the packing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment