Welcome to 4 Our Military!!

Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Michelle and I am an avid supporter of our Military. Here, I will be blogging about everything I have going on in the way of supporting our troops. If you too are involved in supporting our troops, I would love to hear what you are doing in your community. For the past three years, I have been a volunteer for an organization called 'Adopt A US Soldier'. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that allows you to sign up to "adopt" a soldier that is deployed and in need of some support. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. Please direct all mail to MDawn213@aol.com. Thank you all for your support!!

Project Frontlines (Project #1 that I am currently working on)

Project Frontlines is one of the two projects that I am currently working on. This was started by Kylie Johnson and Mark Klodzinski. We then worked together and have made it an official part of 'Adopt A US Soldier'. What is Project Frontlines? We have a unit in Afghanistan that is in a very remote location. Through Project Frontlines, these men and women in uniform will receive donations from supporters around the world. For more information or to donate, please visit the Adopt A US Soldier website. We have just received a HUGE donation of 1,500 bags of coffee and it is going to cost A LOT to ship over to our troops. PLEASE consider donating for shipping costs. Every amount counts!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Just had two REALLY good days...

Hey everyone!! Technically, it's Friday morning, but for me, it's still Thursday night, so that's how I am posting :) So here is how the last two days have gone...

Wednesday; First, we took 4 boxes to the post office that were filled with toilet paper, wipes, puzzle books, q-tips, cd's, drink mixes, and a few other various things. All four of these boxes were shipped using the donation made by Mike Nist. I wasn't sure how much it would cost, so I only brought four. However, there is enough left over to send over another 2, which will go out tomorrow. After that, we took the remaining 20 boxes over to the storage unit until we can get the donations needed to mail them out. While at the storage unit, we took all the bags and boxes that we have for the soldiers coming home and brought them back here to the house. We then spent about 4 hours going through everything and seperating it all. After cleaning it all up, we shut it all down for the night.

Thursday: After sleeping in this morning, I woke up and called a local dealership that I had been in contact with about a donation to help with our single soldier mission. It was the best news...they were giving us a donation!!! For several reasons, I will not disclose the amount received, but I will be posting pictures of us when we go shopping for the stuff for the single soldiers. You too will be able to experience the joy that we get out of doing for others, especially our heroes! After a trip to the bank, we had to stop at Kroger to pick up a few things for the house, and we found a great deal on some drinking glasses. They were only .64 each. They weren't the small ones either! After standing there and debating it for a few minutes, we decided to get some for the soldiers. We picked up a total of 48 glasses for only $34. I think that's a good deal!!!

Over the weekend, I don't think we are going to be doing much shopping. I think we will take the time to plan everything out so we know exactly what we're getting and where. We will be taking into consideration sales and coupons. If you know any good sales on the final things we need (which will be listed below), let us know!! I am posting just a couple pictures for you to get an idea of the stuff we have so far, but I will have more for you soon. For now, I am off to sleep to get ready for another day! Good night!

Items still needed:

Pillows
Sheets
Blankets/comforters
Bath towels
Laundry Detergent
Fabric Softner
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper
Groceries (a few snacks, drinks, etc.)





Setting the "stage" for the sort


After bringing everything in to sort



Michelle & Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment